Saturday, October 6, 2012

Fall Bread Baking Day


On this beautiful Saturday.  Not too warm, not too cool, just perfect for baking bread.  Three of my grands are spending the night with us and I will make honey butter and Boysenberry jam for their bread.  They will fight over who gets to sleep on the old rope bed with a feather mattress and the losers will have to sleep on a down mattress with a well worn woolen quilt to cover them.  Neither group will mind.

Went to a yard sale and scored on a very old antique pine picture frame that we hung over Sister, a vintage oil painting. The plaster is falling off the frame and gives it a perfect deconstructed look that I strive for sometimes. I bought a white artificial punkin for a quarter so my day started out good.

Came home, baked a Spice Cake with Pecan Coconut glaze and some of my wonderful Amish White Bread.

It was a simple day, but a blessed day.  I love simple days, the first leaf of Autumn, low sun shining in the windows of my home, warmth in the slight chill of the evening and God in my heart, on my mind, within my soul.

Here is the reciept if you haven't copied it before. So easy and really foolproof.


Amish White Bread

2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C [I just use warm tap water, no thermometer]
2/3 cup white sugar
...1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cups bread flour [I use regular white flour, sometimes self-rising even]

In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in the warm water and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.

Mix salt and oil and add to yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. [I use the bread hook on my Kitchenaid.]

Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. [I place mine in the microwave to rest.]

punch dough down, turn out onto floured surface and knead for a few minutes. Divide in half, shape into two loaves and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans.

Allow to rise for 30 minutes or until dough has risen above the pans.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.   Have a blessed afternoon and when you pray, say a quick prayer for me and Frank please.   Pamela

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like the most perfect day. I have my grandmother's feather bed. I remember sleeping so cozy on that mnattress when I was little. I was married when she passed but could not stand the thought of it getting thrown away. The bread and cake sound delicious. I have been in the kitchen cooking today also. Homecoming at our church tomorrow and lunch afterward. Enjoy those grands. They gtrow up so quickly..
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, oh I can almost smell the fresh baked bread, wonderful. A perfect day, enjoy your Grands, I sure would love to sleep on the old rope bed to. Here in Canada it`s our Thanksgiving long weekend, much to be thankful for, love spending time with family. Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing finer on a crisp Autumn day than the sweet smell of homemade bread fresh out of the oven. Honey butter and boysenberry jam, is this heaven, no just Pam's Place. Thanks for sharing, love it.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure your home smells wonderful with all that baking ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful day.
    I would love to sleep on a old feather bed too.
    I can almost taste the beautiful bread.
    Happy Fall
    Trace


    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This bread looks so good! And what a perfect thing to make on a chilly fall day. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Friend
    I just wanted you to know you and your dear husband have been in my heart and prayers.
    I am not sure why but God has had me praying for your both.
    Blessings
    Trace


    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. We miss you here in Blogland! Hope to see you back soon :)
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning..I have just found your blog and I love it. The home baked bread looks so tasty! I will be giving it a go for sure. I hope you had a wonderful time with your grands. They are so sweet. We have six and they have all been blessings.
    Hugs Marg

    ReplyDelete