Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Civil Folks Living History Guild











We had our first meeting of the season at our home in my Cookhouse, a recreation of an 1800's cookhouse off my husband's shop. It was a grand time where we ate Chili and Pumpkin Crunch for dessert. Coffee and Strawberry lemonade quenched our thirsts. It is such a blessing having good friends, good food, good fellowship and great weather!
Civil Folks is a group that studies period culture of the early to mid-nineteenth century. We wear period clothing and use as many items from before 1865 as we can possibly use. Most of the time the foods are prepared receipts from the same period, but tonight is was for comfort.
We are so blessed beyond what we could ever imagine!
Hope you enjoy...






6 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a lovely time, I wish we lived closer!
    Mrs.G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou so much for following my blog! I have enjoyed your posts on APP and look forward to reading through your blog. I hope that you are having a wonderful week!
    Many hugs and God Bless, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. To have such an opportunity to reenact at your own home - it doesn't get any better, does it?
    Now that our 'parloe' is where I'd like it to be, I believe we will be doinf the same!
    Love the pictures and I'd love to hear more about the cookhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooops! That's what I get for typing in the dark! Sorry about the mis-spelling of the words 'parlor' and 'doing'!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ken, I thought I was the only one on the planet that typed on my computer by candlelight! It is great fun and you will use your parlor as we have used the cookhouse. I made it with two walls attached to the end of my woodshop. Didn't add the third wall because now it's a porch, then it would be a room. It serves us well. We use an 1850's model iron stove, four eyes and a pass-through oven. My wife is as adept at cooking there as she is in the house where she has three ovens and loves it! I love the fruit of her labors.

    Paris, we love reading your blog and wish the same about your family. If you ever wander into Confederate land give us a call!

    Trish, Happy Thanksgiving to you! We wnjoy your blgo, too and have a vivid picture of what the country must be like there. Would you ever entertain doing a skype connection for a classroom since you have the connection with Miles Standish? I feel so fortunate to know someone that has that geneological connection.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the living history pics!!! I just love the days gone by. Life was simpler but certainly not easy! I love getting dressed and playing the part, and it makes me very thankful for all of today's luxurious!!! Thanks for the follow. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete