Friday, October 3, 2008

My New Table Cloth


Well, you are looking at a project I have wanted to do for a couple of years now. I finally created what I call a 'table cloth'. It is a small version of a 'floor cloth' that was in fashion in the early 1800's up to about 1850 and then went completely out around the 1920's.

Floor cloths are made of thick cotton canvas that is cut to size (this one is 14" by 27") and primed twice. Then I add two coats of the gold background color (gold was the color most frequently used), several layers of stencils, two protective varnish coats and two coats of handrubbed Carnuba and beeswax that gives it a brown antique glazed appearance. Next I polish it to a beautiful sheen.

The one pictured is made for the center of the dining table, at the back door, or as a wall hanging. Many have been in use for years without dulling the sheen. It will be making its way to our website in the next few days.

It is so relaxing to make them. Each one will be different because in addition to stencils I use a lot of handpainting to make each unique. We've already been asked to do a Living History demonstration at the Cannonball House in Macon, Georgia.

My next project will be a 5x7 foot floor cloth for our Grand Hallway. I'll be using documented historic stencils for that one. Will take about two weeks to complete, but my bride is worth the effort.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry we missed y’all at Westville. I am glad y’all enjoyed it. I will not be attending any more events this year. I have long had an interest in painted floor cloths and hope you picture the one you are making for the Grand Hallway.

    ReplyDelete