Saturday, April 28, 2012

Amish White Bread Recipe

A request was made for my recipe and here it is. It really is so easy and so delicious. Enjoy!

2 cups warm water
2/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I use olive.)
6 cups bread flour

In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast.

Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam. Mix salt and oil into the yeast mixture. Mix in flour 1 cup at a time. (I use the dough hook on my Kitchenaid.)

Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat leaving seam side down. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes and divide in half. Shape into 2 loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans, seam side down. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen about 1 inch above pan.

Bake at 350 degrees F. (175 C.) for 30 minutes.

Allow to cool before slicing. (If you can stand it!)

I don't know who to give credit to for the receipt but it is wonderful. Today I took one half of the dough and rolled into golf ball size balls and placed three balls in each oiled muffin cup. Made the most beautiful Cloverleaf mufins. I took a half dozen to my elderly neighbor who is fighting Cancer and she was thrilled as bread is her favorite thing to eat right now.

The grands ate the rest of them with butter and honey! I even had enough left to form a smallish loaf for the girls and they had a wonderful tea party of bread and tea.

It is a good feeling to make a simple staple with my own hands and I had a great day making bread with and teaching my grands. It is easy and delicious. The flavor is 1000% better than a bread machine to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment