Monday, April 16, 2012

Darn it!

That's what I try to do, especially on our period stockings. The picture shows my sewing kit spread out in preparation for darning one of hubby's cotton stockings.

The use of a darning egg is crucial so that you get the proper 'bend' in the repair so that it is more comfortable. I simply pull the stocking over the egg, use my thread to make a warp a bit larger than the hole and then weave the thread the opposite direction following the original weave of the fabric. Not difficult and gets better with experience. It is such a simple pleasure to repair something of value rather than tossing it on the trash heap.

I have pictured my ebony wood darner, a blown glass egg which is also known as an encourager egg that is placed in the hens nesting box. I even have a sweet potato! Sothron girls used whatever they had on hand for a repair. Also pictured are assorted wool and cotton threads, some needles and iron snipping scissors.

I hope you have enjoyed your visit to this small corner of my world.

Darn it!

3 comments:

  1. I've always wanted one of those Darning balls. there's so many socks around here that get holes.. :/ And your sewing kit is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is just lovely. So happy to have happened upon it. :)

    Wishing you a lovely day,
    Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Grandma had a darner egg (that she also placed under hens...I think she called it something different, though ~ a "fooler"? ...or is that just another name for a pacifier?) :)
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete